Facebook

Twitter

Power Leveling: 1-30 in 10 minutes

by
Posted October 24th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

This subject is tricky.  Many believe this to be cheating.  However this is a normal feature of the game that Gearbox couldn’t possibly have overlooked.  Make up your own mind, and read the tutorial and video below if you want them quick levels.

Tutorial:

1. Have a high level friend start a game (Playthrough 1) and go to Eridian Promontory (fast travel)
  2. Have the low level character join the game
  3. Have the high level character kill everything, and the low level character will level extremely quickly.

It’s that simple, a simple function of the game, so I’m throwing my hat in with the “not cheating” crowd.  You can of course do this in any area, but the most exp will be found in EP.  I’m not sure just how far you can reasonably get with this, or at what point it no longer becomes worth it to grind instead of doing story quests, but it’s safe to say that it’s at least level 30, cutting out a huge chunk of time you would have to play as you level multiple characters.  See below of the video of it in action:

16 ResponsesLeave a comment
  • Frozyn
    October 25, 2009 at 12:13 am

Brilliant really. I might use this one to see how a higher leveled different class plays. Of course I would never do this on my first playthrough and am actually only a little over midway through the campaign at the moment myself. Thanks for all the time you put into making this video (lol 6 minutes), I really do appreciate you putting it out there for all of us adventurers to try out.

- Frozyn, lvl 26 Soldier

• Cogzwell
    October 25, 2009 at 10:29 am

I agree this is not cheating. But i will not use it besides possibly helping out a friend who needs a higher lv character i don’t have, after which i will probably either delete it or never play it again, because its cheating yourself of content and challenge. And yes although its not a cheat, it will probably be patched out

• Vell
    October 25, 2009 at 11:45 am

It’s looks like an exploit. I’ll probably use it until it’s fixed.

• Krakatoa
    October 26, 2009 at 7:33 am

great you just ruined the replay value of the game in one fell stroke ….. just in time for forza 3. thanks alot

• Ptrgreat
    October 26, 2009 at 9:29 am

I think that it is a balancing act that the game puts on. It pulls the lower level character up to a cloaser level as the higher level character. When I was playingas a 14 with my 27 buddy, i did no dammage to the enemies, but i got crazy amounts of exp, in about an hour i was a 20.

• Aristile
    October 28, 2009 at 8:26 am

Creative use of game mechanics ftw. And it’s no different than speed running someone through the campeing quests in diablo. So nice find. + approve

• Cynnamin
    October 28, 2009 at 12:13 pm

This is how you power level in every other multiplayer RPG style game out there. You just need one high level character.

Definitely not cheating, it’s mechanics.

What’s the point of a multiplayer game if you can never catch up to your friends’ levels to play with them?

• Dog3ater
    October 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Since the time i hit 50, ive been able to lvl up my friends in my 2nd playthrough of this level pretty fast. They hit 50 about the 3rd or 4th time going through it… its pretty easy because mordecai has the ability to shoot through shields so the aliens die really fast

• Matthew
    October 30, 2009 at 3:09 pm

If you invite them into PT2, or even when you’ve finished PT2, it’ll be even faster..

I mean, at level 50, I’m getting 6000xp a kill (as I’m the same level as them really), so for a lower level, they’ll be FLYING up. Also, try and get them to get at least one shot on each of them, you get more exp for contributing I believe.

• Flood117
    November 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm

i do this using my 50 mordecai…. IT OWNS. i use trespass 5/5 and i just one shot level 50 guardians. i got my friend from 1 to 30 in about 10 min.

• Aeden
    November 17, 2009 at 12:34 pm

This can actually happen when the high level player is in EP in the 2nd play through. With about 4 kills we had a soldier to level 8.

• Aeden
    November 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm

edit to previous post: The content does not get harder and scale until the lower level player approached the higher level player’s level (in our case it got much harder when the lower level player was 46)

• sholomo
    January 13, 2010 at 11:15 am

The only problem with this, is that if you ever want to play the game with that character you still have to complete the main story quests to progress in the game. You say “well I’m stronger that shouldn’t be a problem”, but the enemies level WITH you so you are fighting alpha skags at lvl 20 instead of skag pups…oh and the vendors still sell weapons for the appropriate level (and the alpha skags drop low lvl loot) so good luck getting upgrades.

• Pieville
    March 30, 2010 at 1:13 am

I don’t find this cheating if you don’t overdo it. In other words if doing this ruins the purpose of the game then It’s not worth doing. I’ve already finished the game with my Siren and I do this to train up my Hunter, because honestly I really don’t want to play through the whole game again.

• Unforgiven
    July 21, 2011 at 1:19 am

I agree with Pieville, it will be considered cheating if it is overused. Otherwise, it’s a a great exploitation of the game engine.

• Orophin
    November 10, 2011 at 3:24 pm

nice thing, but when my second char is lvl 30 or more, I stand in the very beginning of first playthrough.
    Now I like to get to second playthrough fastest way. or perhaps with addition of claptrap rescues and certain artifact quests.

does anyone know of a guide like that ?